Saturday morning while we were having our banana pancakes I informed Grace that her Abuelita’s birthday was the next day. She got so excited and without even pausing said, “And we are going to have a birthday party!! And we are going to get a Paw Patrol [gift] bag, birthday hats, and cupcakes!” I had no intention of planning a birthday party, but who could deny that enthusiasm and it did sound more exciting than my weekend plans of grocery shopping and reorganizing the kitchen cabinets, so I was game. I called my mother-in-law to see if she could come over Saturday afternoon. She was available, so we quickly got dressed because we had a lot to get done!
Grace picked out everything for our little shindig and it was so cute. My mother-in-law loves coconut and Grace loves chocolate, so I suggested that we make chocolate coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are so moist and chocolatey. And the frosting… Oh. my. goodness! The frosting! I’ll admit that the frosting was for me. It’s one of my favorites. This is the best cream cheese frosting and it’s so easy. It’s creamy, light, and subtly sweet.
Chocolate-Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- Mix all of the dry ingredients well with a whisk, then add in all your liquid ingredients. Stir until well combined. It should be smooth and free of lumps.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tin or line with paper baking cups.
- Bake at 350º F for 16-18 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely before frosting.
12 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla.
- Add the sugar and continue to stir until smooth.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes and then sprinkle with coconut.