Tonight my husband came home after being out of town on business for a week. I always like to do something special when he comes home even if it’s small. When I started thinking about what to do I realized that today was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, so Grace would not be going to preschool. That meant I had to keep it super simple. Then we were invited to go to the park, so getting anything done this morning was out. And of course that meant that they both napped in the car on the way home, so this afternoon was out for getting anything done as well. So at the 11th hour after I got the girls in the bed, I went for my old faithful “I need some chocolate” recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake. I know what you’re thinking. These things are so 2014 and they’re usually just not that good, but trust me that this one is worth a try. When I was pregnant with my first daughter I craved salads, but when I was pregnant with the second one I craved chocolate, so I made a mug cake several times a week. I think it’s safe to say that I perfected the recipe. This one is not too sweet and really moist.
Chocolate Mug Cake
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, applesauce and vanilla and whisk until all ingredients are combined and there are no clumps.
- Divide batter into two microwave safe mugs.
- Microwave both mug cakes in the microwave for 2 minutes and 10 seconds on high. (You might have to experiment with cooking time a little depending on your microwave.)
- Carefully remove from microwave and enjoy (Chocolate decoration that sweet hubby brought home from business trip is optional).