Keeping toddlers busy when you’re stuck inside on a rainy day can be a challenge. We were met with that challenge yesterday and today and with a little creativity we managed to avoid a Caillou marathon. I’m sure that any one who has ever seen that cartoon will share in my excitement.
Rainy Day Toddler Activities
- Mani-Pedi – So this may not work if you’ve got a house full of boys, but Grace absolutely loves getting (and giving) manicures. She actually just loves to paint her nails, but lucky for me I can usually get a trim in as well. Just make sure you put down a blanket or towel so you don’t get it all over the floor and that you’ve got the “kid polish” that peels right off with a little water. This is especially important if you let your little one do the painting!!
- Blanket Fort – Grace loved building and tearing these down as much as she enjoyed being inside “reading” her books. Camille also loved getting inside and pulling it down on her head. Who knew that little girls could be so destructive! Ha!
- Dance Party – While I was prepping for them to help me make lunch (see #4) I turned on some music so that they could have a dance party. This is a great way to wear them out so that they’re still ready for nap time! It was also perfect to do while lunch was baking.
- Make Pizza for Lunch – I keep mini prepared pizza rounds on hand because they’re perfect for letting the littles help in the kitchen. It was the perfect rainy day activity to let them help me make lunch. I also really like the individual serving size so that I can experiment with some “fancy” toppings for myself. The one I made today was super delicious, so look for a recipe post on it soon!
- Play in the Rain – When Grace woke up from her nap we were itching to get outside and there was a break in the rain, so we put on her rain boots and went out to find some puddles. Yay!
I’m really ready for some sunshine this weekend, but we had so much fun the past few days I’m totally singing “Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day.”
What do you like to do when it’s raining outside?